At A American Container, we believe in providing the best solutions for your storage needs and one question we frequently encounter is how to use shipping containers for car storage. Whether you’re a homeowner needing a place for your car during a renovation, or a business owner looking for long-term vehicle storage, we’ve got you covered.
Let’s dive into some of the FAQs we hear about using steel shipping containers for car storage!
Unlocking the Potential of Shipping Containers for Car Storage: FAQs
Whether you have a prized vintage car you’d like to protect from the elements or a vehicle that calls for short or long-term storage, a steel container can prove to be an excellent solution.
#1. Why Consider Shipping Containers for Car Storage?
Shipping containers have risen in popularity as a versatile storage solution for several compelling reasons:
Security: Constructed from CORTEN steel, shipping containers are remarkably secure and can protect your vehicle from theft, vandalism, and harsh weather conditions.
Durability: Built to withstand extreme conditions at sea, these containers are designed to last and require minimal maintenance.
Versatility: They can be easily modified to fit your specific needs. For instance, you can install insulation, shelving, or even a workshop inside your container.
Affordability: Compared to building a garage, a cargo container can be a more cost-effective solution.
#2. How Big Should the Container Be for My Car?
When selecting a shipping container for car storage, consider the size of the vehicle and the additional space you might need. Standard container sizes include:
- 20-foot: This measures 20′ x 8′ x 8’6″. It’s typically suitable for smaller vehicles, compact cars, or motorcycles.
- 40-foot: This measures 40′ x 8′ x 8’6″. It’s usually used for storing larger cars, vans, or several small vehicles.
- 40-foot High Cube: This container size is 40′ x 8′ x 9’6″. It’s ideal for larger vehicles, trucks, or vans with extra height.
Before selecting a container, make sure to measure your car accurately, considering its length, width, and height. Then, compare these dimensions with the sizes mentioned above for the most suitable fit.
Note: Always remember to leave some space for easy maneuvering of the vehicle in and out of the container.
#3. How Do I Prepare a Container for Vehicle Storage?
When it comes to storing your vehicle, whether for a short period or long term, a steel shipping container can be an excellent solution. It offers an unparalleled level of protection against the elements, thieves, and pests. But before you can park your car inside, you need to prepare the container properly.
To prepare a steel shipping container for vehicle storage:
Inspect the Container
Inspect the cargo container thoroughly for any signs of holes, rust, or structural damage. If you find any, have them repaired immediately. (All containers have already been inspected and repaired by our team before renting or selling them.)
Ensure that the cargo container has adequate ventilation to prevent the buildup of harmful fumes or excess humidity that might damage your vehicle.
Check the container’s seals and weatherproofing. It’s crucial that it is watertight to protect your vehicle from moisture and the elements.
Consider installing some form of flooring to protect the vehicle from any moisture that might accumulate on the floor.
Make sure your container is secure. This could involve adding a lockbox or installing our patented DRP Locking System.
Remember, the key to successfully storing your vehicle is all in the preparation. If done right, a steel container can provide a convenient and secure storage solution for your vehicle.
#4. What Modifications Can I Get to Optimize Car Storage?
Shipping containers can be transformed into versatile car storage units with a range of modifications. These customizations not only optimize the space but also ensure that your vehicle is stored safely and in optimal conditions.
Some key modifications you can consider include:
- Insulation: Containers can be insulated to maintain a steady temperature, crucial for protecting your vehicle against harsh weather conditions. Insulation can also reduce condensation, preventing rust or corrosion.
- Shelving: While not directly related to car storage, shelving can be added to keep tools, spare parts, and other car accessories organized. This can turn your cargo container into a one-stop shop for all your car needs.
- Climate Control: For classic cars or vehicles with sensitive parts, you might want to consider installing a climate control system. This can help maintain a consistent temperature and humidity level inside your container, ensuring the longevity of your car.
- Windows: Installing windows can provide natural light, ventilation, and an easy view of your stored vehicle. However, be sure to consider security implications before deciding on this modification.
The modifications you choose will largely depend on what you need for your vehicle. It’s important to consider the type of car being stored, local weather conditions, and your budget when deciding on these customizations.
While You’re Here > Why You NEED an Insulated Container
A American Container – Your Reliable Source for On-Site Storage
There’s no denying that using a shipping container for car storage can be a cost-effective, secure, and flexible option. It can provide both short-term and long-term protection for your valuable vehicles from weather elements and theft.
If you are ready to take the leap and embrace the versatility of steel cargo containers for car storage, our friendly team at A American Container is here to help you navigate through the process.