Securing your cargo container is of paramount importance, whether it’s being used for storage, shipping, or as a mobile office. The right locking system doesn’t just protect the contents of your container—it also gives you invaluable peace of mind.
Our favorite ways to secure a steel container include:
- Our patented DRP Locking System
- Cargo door locks
- Hidden shackle “hockey puck” style locks
- Block or warehouse locks
Keep reading as our pros at A American Container share some valuable insights on how to select the best lock for your storage or office solution.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Choosing a Locking System
Choosing the right locking system is a critical decision that can significantly impact the security of your goods. However, people often make some common mistakes during this selection process.
- Focusing Only on Price: While it’s essential to consider your budget, choosing a locking system based solely on price can be a mistake. Often, the cheapest options may not provide the level of security required for your container.
- Ignoring the Material of the Lock: Not every lock is suitable for a container. For instance, a lock made of a material susceptible to rust won’t last long when exposed to the elements.
- Overlooking the Locking Mechanism: Another common oversight is neglecting the locking mechanism. There are various types of locks available, each with their advantages and drawbacks. Not understanding these differences can lead to choosing a lock that could leave your storage space or office at the mercy of thieves.
Let’s dive a little deeper into each kind of locking system.
A American’s Patented DRP Locking System
At A American Container, we have developed a patented DRP locking system that offers superior security. This system is designed to withstand force, making it nearly impossible to breach.
Constructed from solid steel, our DRP locking system is both durable and tamper-resistant, providing an additional layer of security for your steel container. Its unique design eliminates the risk of lock cutting, offering peace of mind that your belongings are safe and secure.
Cargo Door Locks
A heavy-duty cargo door lock, for instance, is an excellent choice for those who didn’t have an opportunity to have our DRP locking system installed or for customers who already own their containers.
A heavy-duty cargo door lock secures both doors by locking
the innermost vertical locking bars together.
Particularly recommended for construction site storage and over-the-road trucks, cargo door locks offer high security and flexibility. These locks are available with either the high-security barrel-style keyed lock or with a built-in changeable combination padlock.
Hidden Shackle “Hockey Puck” Style Locks
This heavy-duty lock is often used in combination with our DRP locking system. It has a unique design that makes it highly resistant to common break-in methods.
- High-Grade Hardened Steel: This lock is crafted from hardened steel, a high-grade material known for its strength and durability.
- Hidden Shackle Design: The shackle, a critical component of the lock, is hidden in this design. This feature provides an extra layer of protection against sawing, cutting, and prying.
Block or Warehouse Locks
One of the most reliable locking systems for your steel container is the Block Lock, also known as a Warehouse Lock. Designed to withstand even the harshest weather and corrosive environments, this lock features a stainless-steel armor plate on a solid brass body for added protection.
This lock with its rectangular shape, has a unique design where the key entry and the shackle drop-down are on the same end. This makes it an ideal fit for the narrow lock boxes typically found on container doors, warehouse doors, and connecting chains.
Exploring Additional Security Features for Containers
Choosing the best locking system for your shipping container involves more than simply selecting a robust, high-quality lock. You need to take into account additional security features that can enhance the protective function of your lock.
- Lock Box: A lock box is a steel box welded onto the container door to house the lock. This enhancement offers further protection against bolt cutters and other tools.
- Crossbar Locks: This type of lock extends across the container’s doors, providing an additional barrier to unauthorized access.
- Alarm Systems: Beyond physical barriers, investing in an alarm system can provide an additional layer of security. They can alert you or security personnel if an intrusion attempt is detected.
Remember, a lock is only as strong as its weakest link. By combining a quality lock with additional security enhancements, you’ll create a more secure environment for your cargo container.
While You’re Here > Do I Need to Secure My Container to the Ground?
A American Container – Your Reliable Source for On-Site Storage
Guaranteeing the security of your steel container is indispensable for safeguarding your valuable possessions. Here at A American Container, we are here to help you navigate through the myriad of available locking systems, ensuring you select one that aligns perfectly with your specific needs.
- Different containers and contents may require distinct levels of security. Factors such as location, value of goods, and risk of theft play into this decision.
- We offer a variety of locking systems, ranging from traditional padlocks to our patented DRP locking system.
- Once you’ve chosen your locking system, our team will ensure it is correctly installed and give you guidance on how to maintain the system.
Ready to secure your shipping container? Contact our team at A American Container for a quote. We are here to guide you through the locking systems we have available, and help you make an informed decision that will not only protect your goods but also give you peace of mind!